Re: GNOME Speaker Guidelines

Hey all.

I agree with this:

> I also don't think the ending is appropriate: "These guidelines do not
> constitute censorship since you have many other forums and
> opportunities to say whatever you wish."

As a matter of fact, personally I am not jazzed by the entire ending:

        Please keep in mind that the GNOME Foundation is not the right
        forum to debate whether someone should feel offended or not; you
        should simply avoid offending people even if you do not share
        their views. These guidelines do not constitute censorship since
        you have many other forums and opportunities to say whatever you
        wish.

It is neither "positive" nor "welcoming" to would-be speakers -- and
thus contrasts rather starkly with bullet point 1 under "Guidelines."

It also feels like an attempt to preempt a response/reaction, which is
perfectly understandable given the nature of the document. However, it
is the very nature of the people in question to ignore such language.

Were it me, I'd nix that paragraph. If the Board feels it must remain,
I'd suggest that someone come up with something more positive and
welcoming.

Take care.
--joanie