Re: Question for the candidates : money !

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 15:11 -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> Lionel:
>
> > I've a question about GNOME business model and sustanability. As we have
> > seen with the fundrising to hire a sysadmin, money is often a blocking
> > point. The current business model seems to be donations.
>
> Actually, The GNOME Foundation acquires money from several sources:
>
> - Advisory Board fees
> - Sponsorship for particular events or programs
> - Profit from events (such as GUADEC)
> - Donations (such as Friends of GNOME and the upcoming mobile donations
>    program being discussed on the marketing list)
<snip awesome explanations>

And I'll add that there's some opportunities around referal and
advertising revenue on the desktop itself (some of that revenue
unfortunately being snatched by distributors), as well as trying to get
some (recurring) donations from projects that depend on us (say, Mozilla
Co. for the Linux related work).

Cheers