Re: A few questions for the candidates

Em Ter, 2010-06-01 às 23:30 +0200, Vincent Untz escreveu:
> Hi,

Hi Vincent, hi all.

> 1) I've read with interest the mails from the candidates announcing
>    they're running, and most (if not all -- I didn't double-check)
>    include some motivations with examples of what they'd be interested
>    in working on.
>    Why are those tasks/ideas things you cannot work on while not being
>    on the board?

Indeed I can help GNOME even not being in the board. That's what I
already do. The point is that I think I can help *more* by being part of
it. Why? Because I'd discuss directly in a small team that can actually
get things done (that's why that team exists btw).

> 2) What are your non-usual (ie, not code, not translations, not
>    documentation, etc.) contributions as a GNOME Foundation member?
>    (organizing events, pushing people to do things, finding sponsors,
>    etc. are all possible answers)

This is already answered in my candidacy ;) I'll paste here:

I contribute to GNOME in

 - code, translation
 - spreading GNOME: I'm always giving talks in Brazil about
  GNOME and how to contribute.
 - kind of coordinate GNOME Brazil: motivating users, managing
  Planet, managing mailing lists, etc
 - now that you mentioned it, I remembered: I'm also trying to find a way to Brazilian people donate money to the Foundation in a 'more brazilian way'.

> 3) What is your opinion on the co-location of Akademy and GUADEC in
>    2011? And if you think it was not the best choice, will you still be
>    able to help it happen?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of this. Of course, I can live with that.
I think if we need to work together with other teams, we could do that
in a hackfest for example. GUADEC is the GNOME event, it's kind weird to
meet people around wearing kde shirts :)

> 4) How much free time per week do you think you will be able to allocate
>    for the board? (I'm very well aware that this could be 0 for some
>    weeks, and 100% of your time for other weeks; I'm just asking in
>    general)

I think 10h-15h a week.

> 5) Are you okay giving up some of your current GNOME
>    responsabilities/activities to join the board? (give up a maintainer
>    hat, or hack less, or participate less in a specific team) Or do you
>    think it won't be necessary and why?
>    (I know it's a bit related to the previous question :-))

I'm aware of this, for sure. The area I could leave is translation, once
Brazilian team currently has great man power.

> 6) Will you be interested in being treasurer, president or secretary if
>    elected? If yes, which role and why?

I'd prefer not to pick any of these positions right now. As I'd be a new
director, I think I need first to learn how things work in these areas.
I'd be happy to work in general activities, like to be close to the
Marketing team.

> 7) What do you think of the current GNOME Foundation budget? Had you
>    read it at least once before reading this mail?
>    (it's okay if you didn't look at it before, btw)

I think it's a bit confusing. Perhaps with GNUCash effort going on
things become easier to read and understand.

> 8) What do you think our next fundraising campaign should be about?
>    (I'd love to not read 11 times the same answer, thanks :-))

Maybe not answering directly your question, but: I think we should be
more aggressive asking for donations directly in the desktop.
gnome-about should do this job for us. This is related to a thread
started yesterday in marketing list (which I've replied).

> 9) Will you be at GUADEC this year? (there's a board meeting and an
>    advisory board meeting there)

Yes!

> 10) Make or break question: what's your favorite french expression?

I pass... :(

> Thanks,
>
> Vincent

Jonh Wendell