Re: Candidacy: Seif Lotfy

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 23:19 +0200, Seif Lotfy wrote:

>         Yet you think the solution to attracting new developers is to
>         wrap the
>         processes up in red tape and technical boards or design
>         boards? Surely
>         Free Software is supposed to be about meritocracy, not about
>         boards
>         dictating how an individual project should be run.
>

> Well currently there is a GNOME Shell meritocracy among the RH
> employees. How is that meritocracy for the community.
> Yes I think the solution is setting up boards. It is not a Meritocracy
> as soon as sole responsibilities are given to a group of individuals
> affiliated with the same corporation.

so, we complain that companies don't contribute enough upstream, and
when a big team of developers from one company works on a new project,
we don't like it? So what's the problem, that we want more non-RH people
working on it? Since the development has been open for more than a year,
I don't see anything preventing non-RH people to do so.

As for giving responsibilities to a group of individuals, it is what
happens in all GNOME modules. So, I don't see why we would need a board
for gnome-shell and not for gnome-control-center, nautilus or others, or
are you suggesting to add a huge bureaucracy for every non-trivial
change/development that we do?