Re: Candidacy: Seif Lotfy

Hi,

Le mardi 01 juin 2010, à 22:16 +0200, Seif Lotfy a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:
> * Why do you think our infrastructure is limiting?
>
> The development happening on Launchpad (not bazaar) really beats what GNOME
> provides in several aspects, starting bug management, blueprinting and
> linking with branches. There are a lot of nice projects there that are not
> part of GNOME because of the GNOME Infrastructure: GNOME Do, Docky, Getting
> Things GNOME... These projects are in their own rights very successful and
> used by the community. And by allowing them to deploy per default with GNOME
> would just benefit the GNOME community...

FWIW, there's an imminent announcement from the release team about
moduleset reorganization that will have an impact on this. Hopefully,
Lucas will send the mail tonight if I write this here ;-)

> > * For the company statements IMHO despite I don't know anything about
> > the Unity plans I think those arent' true. Could you explain?
> >

> I am not saying its true but sooner or later RH will want to deploy GNOME
> Shell on the netbooks just like Unity will at some point put an eye on the
> desktop... Its naive to asssume both will not try to assume positions in the
> netbook and desktop market...

I don't know if Red Hat will want to deploy GNOME Shell on netbooks, but
GNOME will certainly want to have GNOME Shell work fine on netbooks. And
as far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong) GNOME Shell is
designed to have a UI that works for netbooks.

FWIW, in your answers, you make it sound like GNOME Shell is just a Red
Hat project. Red Hat is certainly a driving force behind it,
contributing a lot, but it's a GNOME project, with many other
contributors.

Cheers,

Vincent

--