Re: Thanks, and a Brief Survey

On 1/17/10 5:20 PM, "Luis Villa" <luis tieguy org> wrote:

> The FSF is welcome to give their advice; and should be treated with
> respect when they do give it, the same as anyone else. This is
> particularly true in this area, where we know we are walking a
> difficult line between freedom and conciliation with proprietary
> software, and we have a lot of influences pushing us in the direction
> of proprietary software and not all that many pushing us in the other
> direction.

If anyone feels that I've been less than respectful in this particular
discussion, please let me know; I'll certainly apologize if that seems to be
the case. Again, that hasn't been my intention.

I don't disagree with what you say, Luis.

However, I don't see the term "open source" as "pushing us in the direction
of proprietary software" in any way: the Open Source Definition wouldn't
support that. It's a neutral term, in my view, and in the view of others.

We use the terms "open" and "open source" elsewhere, and it hasn't created
particular controversy, or visibly "pushed us in the direction of
proprietary software", as far as I can tell. Why is it controversial here in
particular?