Re: Thanks, and a Brief Survey

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 12:37 -0800, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Lefty (石鏡 ) <lefty shugendo org> wrote:
> > On 1/17/10 6:52 AM, "Ciaran O'Riordan" <ciaran member fsf org> wrote:
> >>
> >> GNOME has a policy (written or not) that prohibits importing non-free
> > software
> >> into its repositories.
> >
> > I'm not personally aware of a written policy to this effect. If there's an
> > "unwritten policy", I'd encourage the Board to write it down in clear and
> > explicit terms and get it agreed to by the membership, since there's not
> > necessarily any actual common understanding of what such a policy "says" or
> > means, if that's the case.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, that policy has never been written down.
> That is because there is and always has been a very, very, very clear
> and common understanding that this is the policy. It takes almost
> willful ignorance of our history, culture and policy to suggest
> otherwise.

Perhaps less official because it's just on the wiki, but:

http://live.gnome.org/ProjectPrerequisites

  "The project must be free/open source software."

But yes, Luis, I wholly agree with you.  I can't imagine why
anybody would ever think it's OK to host non-free software
on gnome.org.

--
Shaun McCance
http://syllogist.net/