Re: Thanks, and a Brief Survey

On 1/15/10 1:58 PM, "Dave Neary" <dneary gnome org> wrote:

> Having gone through 10 years of "Open Source" vs "Free Software"
> debates, I know that (like emacs vs vim, bsd vs linux, gnome vs kde, bsd
> vs gpl, reply-to for mailing lists, code indentation styles, and other
> religious debates) that nothing will come of it.

One further comment on this: I stand by my view that Stormy's mission
statement should not use the terminology "free software" to the exclusion of
the term "open source software". In fact, in light of what you've said, I
believe I feel even a little more strongly about it:

Since it _is_ a "debate", as we agree, there must be a minimum of two sides
to it. To simply use "free software" in that statement would constitute an
endorsement of one of the two opinions to the detriment of the other(s).

(I'd note in passing that, from the point of view of an "open source
developer", "free software" is a subset of "open source software"; to a
"free software developer", they're mutually exclusive sets.)