Re: Thanks, and a Brief Survey

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 10:37 -0700, Stormy Peters wrote:

[CUT]

> We could also amend the statement to say "free and open source
> software" but it gets awkward.

I think it's a great idea to (at least) use both.

Free software isn't a synonym for open source, and by only using 'free
software' you aren't including all the OSI definitions which GNOME also
endorses.

What about the companies and people, like me, who don't feel attached to
free software ideology and yet develop for and with GNOME technologies?

If anything I think this debate and the survey's data legitimizes the
claim that GNOME is far from only a free software community.

This the GNOME foundation should be unambiguously clear about in its
statements and texts. In my opinion.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog