Re: GNOME: lack of strategic roadmap

seems gtk+'s object model overhead (for example, object method invocation) is too high, especially visible on mobile platforms... it should be possible to optimize to reduce this overhead...

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Juanjo Marin wrote:

> * It seems we have lost the mobile battle. Can we do something about it
> or simply retreat?. I like the idea of creating more components and some
> of this components can be added to the GNOME mobile platform.

Have we lost the mobile battle? It certainly appears that GTK+ has lost
the mobile battle, but all of the hard work that GNOME hackers have put
into the middleware platform and components like Gstreamer, Dbus,
Telepathy and Pulseaudio are now cornerstone parts of both the free
desktop and the mobile platform.

I would agree that the GNOME GUI platform is not exciting application
developers right now, and that's something we need to fix. And it's not
an easy problem.

Cheers,
Dave.

--