Re: Budget and plans (2011)

Hi Germán,

First thanks for publishing the budget, good to see it at last!

Germán Póo-Caamaño wrote:
> The documents attached are:
> - Summary of the budget.
> - Spreadsheet (ODF and Gnumeric) with the details consolidated.

Are you looking for feedback? You don't say whether this is a draft or a
final budget, or whether you're hoping for comments.

My initial reaction is that I'm missing something like a balance sheet,
showing how much we're starting off with in each category. For example,
I know that we have already received $50,000 for mobile, so the
expenditure on mobile is spending funds we have already set aside, but
that's not clear from the budget.

In every other field where expenditure outweighs income, I am not
familiar with any money carried forward there might be. For example, the
$10,000 shortfall in accessibility - is this dependent on future
fundraising, spending funds carried over, or an investment which the
foundation board are consciously making from cash reserves? Same
question for the $27,000 shortfall for women's outreach, the $30,000
shortfall in hackfests and the $12,000 expenditure on marketing.

In general, it would be good to know in the budget summary which
expenditures are unconditional, and which are conditional on fundraising
(either through FoG or through targeted fundraising for an event or a
program).

Thanks for all your work! This budget is better than those that have
come before it.

Cheers,
Dave.

--