Re: Meeting Minutes Published - November 11, 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu tomeuvizoso net> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 08:28, Ben Konrath <ben bagu org> wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
>>> Based on the Orca (or even a more general a11y) roadmap, it may be
>>> possible to get some funding from companies or associations interested
>>> in seeing Orca get better (although a lot of the associations seem to be
>>> focussing more on NVDA because it works on Windows).
>>
>> Just thought I'd chime in here. I spent a bit of time searching for
>> funding to work on Caribou after the ATRC  / IDRC cut funding for my
>> position. The feedback I received was a similar story; the potential
>> funders seemed only interested in an applications that would serve
>> their users who primarily use Windows. Obviously this will be an issue
>> when searching for funding for GNOME a11y projects - especially new
>> projects that don't have an established group of users like Caribou.
>
> What about those companies deploying linux desktops in masse in public
> organizations? From time to time appear in the news some big European
> city or government department that has migrated their desktops to
> Linux. Those vendors aren't asked to provide an accessible solution?

Your suggestion seems like it might be a good way forward. I'm no
longer involved with Caribou but the last I heard, the Consorcio
"Fernando de los Ríos" (www.consorciofernandodelosrios.es) provided
some funding for Caribou after I left the project. I was in contact
with them briefly but they only seemed interested in funding companies
from Spain so I didn't qualify.

Cheers, Ben