Re: Meeting Minutes Published - July 25, 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 10:58 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Brian Cameron wrote:
> >     * GNOME Mobile work funded by Nokia.
> >           o If Nokia continued with Maemo 5, then we could just port
> >             GNOME apps and they would likely just work.
> >           o With Maemo 6 and Moblin neither Qt nor GTK+ apps just work.
>
> This doesn't sound right... Qt apps and stock GTK+ apps should Just Work
> in both Maemo 6 and MeeGo 1.0. The issue, as I understand it, is that
> Hildon & "Nokia GTK+" apps developed against Maemo 5 currently have no
> migration path to Maemo 6/MeeGo.

This is what we've been told by the people we talked to. MeeGo 1.0 for
handsets uses a new compositor, with a new set of hints. Those are not
compatible with existing desktop implementations.

Trying to use a stock GTK+ or Qt application on MeeGo 1.0 for handsets
will result in a black screen.

Do you have any other information that contradicts that?

> >           o The board is considering funding making Maemo 6 integrate
> >             more nicely with GTK+.
>
> In the context, it seems like the task should be "Ensuring that Maemo 5
> apps work well with upstream GTK+"?

The first step would be fixing the compositor and/or adding support for
this new compositor in GTK+ itself.

The second would be to start porting some of the Maemo 5 GTK+ and Hildon
features to GTK+.