Meeting Minutes Published - August 5, 2010

The meeting minutes for the August 5th GNOME Foundation board meeting
is now published.  Refer here:


Other past board meetings are archived here:


-- text of the latest minutes follows --

Minutes for Meeting of August 5th, 2010

Next Meeting

    * August 19th, 2010


    * Andreas Nilsson
    * Bastien Nocera
    * Brian Cameron
    * Emily Chen
    * Germán Póo-Caamaño
    * Paul Cutler
    * Rosanna Yuen


    * Og Maciel
    * Stormy Peters


Recurring Items

    * Review past action items.
    * Did each person with action items send their status reports to
      the board list before the meeting?
    * Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
      to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
    * Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
    * Update website.

New Items

    * Reassigning action items from previous board members.
          o Paul will take over the action action item.
          o Paul will take over the Code of Conduct action item.
          o Andreas will follow up with Vincent to find out the status
            Philosophy, Copyright Assignment task.
          o Brian will follow up with who can present GNOME in Cancún.

    * security gnome org being an alias for board-list
          o ACTION: Bastien will investigate whether security gnome org
            should be sent to the release team instead of the board.

    * Scheduling the next GNOME IRC Meeting
          o Process for setting up an IRC meeting
                + Create an agenda / Ask for feedback from the
                + Pick a time zone. The time of the meeting is rotated
                  so that people from different time zones can attend
                  meetings more easily.
                + Email the foundation list, blog about it, send an
                  email before the event.
                + Remember to the Board members they should be present
                  as much as possible.
          o It was suggested that perhaps we should rotate the
            responsibility of managing the IRC meeting.
          o The board will discuss this on the mailing list and set up
            an agenda.
          o ACTION: Paul will send an email to the board to put
            together an agenda for a GNOME IRC meeting.

    * ACTION: Paul to make sure Board members have access to the
      Foundation blog.

    * GNOME Advisory Board Meeting Update
          o ACTION: Andreas will follow up with Andrew Savory from LiMo
            to see if relevant information from their GTK+ study can be
            made more public.

    * GUADEC
          o There were remaining posters and Brian shipped them at a
            cost of $100 which will be reimbursed.
          o The board will create a Wiki page with tips to better
            manage GUADEC/event planning in the future. The Wiki will
            start as a private Wiki page and will be made more public
            when it is fleshed out.
          o ACTION: Bastien will ask for feedback about GUADEC on the
            gnome-foundation list.
          o ACTION: Bastien will create private Wiki page to sort ideas
            about how to better organize events like GUADEC.
          o ACTION: Bastien will touch base with Gil Forcada and Luis
            Villa and add their feedback about GUADEC.

    * Board roles (chairman, secretary, treasurer, etc.)
          o The board voted and approved the following roles:
                + Paul - Chairman
                + Andreas - Vice-Chairman
                + Germán - Treasurer
                + Emily - Vice Treasurer
                + Brian - Secretary
                + Og - Vice Secretary

    * Mentoring new board members program
          o Create a wiki page
          o Create a mail list like: board-mentor gnome org
                + ACTION: Paul will create a board-mentor mailing list.
          o The new members on the board would prefer a more formal
            mentor / mentee relationship.

    * GNOME.Asia Summit (August 14-15)
          o Wire the $9,225 (USD) funds to Taiwan account.
          o ACTION: Emily will work with Rosanna on on transferring the
            money to GNOME.Asia.

    * Desktop Summit 2011: Berlin - Ekaterina (Kat) Gerasimova @
          o ACTION: Germán will follow up with Murray about Kat helping
            with planning and possible "ack" as a sponsor.

    * Free Agent t-shirt. (Update from GUADEC)
          o Shirts were sold for €20 and given to volunteers (such as
            the local volunteer organizers) for free.
          o About 50 of the 100 were distributed.
          o The GNOME Foundation made €700, but the costs to print the
            t-shirts were €1,050.
          o Brian has the remaining t-shirts and he will try to sell
            them at GNOME.Asia and Boston Summit.
          o Once we start getting revenues we can discuss what we would
            do with the revenue.

    * 2010 Q2 GNOME Quarterly Report Update
          o Will publish when Stormy gets back from vacation.

    * Annual Report update
          o Need help getting photos inserted into the document.

    * "Ready for GNOME 3"
          o This is a self-certification program to certify 3rd party
            applications as being GNOME ready.
          o Postponed until the end of the year (in sync with GNOME 3.0
          o Would make sense to launch this when GTK+ 3 is released.

Completed Actions

    * Andreas - To buy the GNOME Thank You Pants.
    * Brian/Germán - Will give the GNOME Foundation update at the AGM.
    * Diego - To discuss to see if their is interest in having an
      overlapping GTK+ and WebKitGTK+ Hackfest.
    * Diego - To send an email to board-list to pass on the internal-
      review-process hat
    * Emily - To mail the list about final GNOME.Asia financial
      situation so that the board can make budget decisions.
    * Paul - Will collect and MC the GUADEC AGM meeting.
    * Stormy - Will discuss GNOME.Asia sponsorship at the GUADEC
      advisory board meeting.
    * Stormy - To ask for slides from advisory board members so that we
      can put them all on one laptop for the GUADEC Advisory Board
    * Stormy - Will follow up with all the teams for updates for the
      GUADEC AGM meeting. Would be good to provide information about
      2-3 items which highlight how things are going well, and 2-3
      areas where help is needed or things could be improved.
    * Vincent - To send mail with list of candidates for the GNOME
      Thank You Pants and push for a decision.
    * All board members - Plan to join the "Open Desktop Day" at GUADEC
      on Monday for the networking at 10:30am, 12:30am, and 3:00pm.
    * All board members - Review the Annual Report before returning
      home from GUADEC.

Status of action items

    * Andreas - Will finish the Friends of GNOME revamp and find
      someone with proper javascript skills to help.
    * Andreas - Follow up with Vincent about the copyright assignments
    * Andreas - Follow up with Vincent about creating a Philosophy page
      on the GNOME Wiki.
    * Bastien - Will try to find people who can consolidate the
      feedback about the Texas Instruments Zoom2 device to provide back
      to Texas Instruments.
    * Bastien - Will help Stormy identify some opportunities how to
      best use the money provided by Nokia.
    * Bastien - To discuss technical Nokia plans with regards to MeeGo
      for Handsets.
    * Bastien - To contact some international banks for the possibility
      of a US-based dual-currency account (probably will not work, as
      Stormy already did research.
    * Bastien - To find contacts at HP who are working on GNOME with
      Palm OS.
    * Bastien - Will take over the internal review process task from
      Diego (hopefully he can automate it).
    * Bastien - To find a way to automate the process of exporting
      results from internal review process and email it to the board.
    * Bastien - To discuss the use of badges (a-la Creative Commons, page colors, or PSN badges).
    * Bastien - To talk to Olav Vitters about using bugzilla to track
      Friends of GNOME post card sending.
    * Bastien - To get _a_ WebOS/Palm contact from Lennart Poettering.
    * Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible
      collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
    * Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
      Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME
      legal team.
    * Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
      Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
    * Brian - Will track progress of GNOME.Asia event organization.
    * Diego - Will send an updated "Día GNOME" article for the Annual
    * Emily - To write a proposal for new board members mentoring
    * Germán - Will share the financial data that was provided to the
      advisory board to foundation-list.
    * Germán - Will follow up with Shaun McCance about how the board
      can help with his proposal for funding developer documentation.
      ONGOING: There will be a BOF on Developer Documentation at GUADEC
      + further conversation with Shaun might help to clarify what
      would be needed.
    * Germán - Will talk with the GUADEC organizers to find out what
      happened as a result of the discussion about the terms and
    * Germán - Will help Paul put together the Financial Report for the
      Annual Report.
    * Germán - Will update the Travel policy to cover the extra costs
      (such as visa, vaccinations, etc.) when the board requests that a
      representative attends an event on behalf of GNOME Foundation.
    * Germán - Will write a template that people who fill out bids can
      complete that can be made public.
    * Germán - To discuss with GNOME Hispano about them handling GNOME
      Foundation money in Euros (€).
    * Germán - To write a list of demands and details for the Berlin
      Desktop Summit bid (discussion about the dates, etc.).
    * Germán - To track if the new method of boletos generates more or
      less money from Brazil.
    * Jorge - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to
      use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent. Look at the
      archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the
      GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
    * Jorge - Will reach out to Linaro to see if GNOME can more
      effectively work with them.
    * Og - Will create a new wiki page to explain the process for
handling emails sent to security gnome org * Og - Will take over from Diego the task to work Jonh to determine
      how Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto Comercial) should send
      profits to the GNOME Foundation and then work with Ronaldo to
      finalize arrangements. The Brasilian Free Software Association is
      likely to help us out here, on the plus side we will also be able
      to take "boleto" donations.
    * Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash
      list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken
      over from Behdad.
    * Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
    * Paul - Will follow up with Germán about the financial data for
      the Annual Report.
    * Paul - Will talk to the sysadmin team about setting up a gobby
      server for the GNOME Foundation board to use for minute taking. -
      In progress - waiting for external IP from Red Hat for new VM
    * Paul - Will organize the next GNOME Foundation IRC meeting and
      create an agenda.
    * Paul - Will look into finding contacts for additional GNOME.Asia
    * Paul - Will work on 2010 Annual Report.
    * Paul - To fix the annual report: remove all TM in the GNOME
      logos, s/GNOME Asia/GNOME.Asia/g, use right font for GNOME logo.
    * Paul - To start work on next 2011 Annual Report ASAP (due start
    * Paul - To work with Jonathan Blandford for the pants article in
      the annual report.
    * Paul - To mail the URL of the annual report to board for feedback.
    * Paul - To talk to Jonh Wendall to see how we can localize Friends
      of GNOME web site.
    * Paul - Will work with Gil Forcada from and
      gnome-marketing to define the best way for organizations like to participate in the GNOME community. Not many replies
      from the community. Diego will draft something more concrete for
      gnome-marketing to determine the best name and process for
      managing this. There was a discussion on the mailing list and a
      few good ideas, Diego will wrap them up and send them again for
      further comments.
    * Paul - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
      expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
    * Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information
      into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad.
    * Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
      necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
      but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the
      website up-to-date.
    * Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card. Status: Filled
      out initial application, have appointment next Wednesday with the
      bank to continue process.
    * Rosanna - To find out how many donations The GNOME Foundation has
      had from Brazil in the past year by month.
    * Ryan - To ask on gtk-devel-list for a quick estimate of costs
      (trip/dates) for the GTK+ hackfest.
    * Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting
      work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can
      we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive
      responses. Hoping to meet at GUADEC.
    * Stormy - To follow up with the Advisory Board about acquiring a
      second machine. Email sent, but no response yet.
    * Stormy - Set up a Euro bank account. This is on hold for now.
      Talked to SFLC about setting up a European nonprofit as an
      option. Not something we need to do now.
    * Stormy - To follow up with Orbitz to find out if the GNOME
      Foundation can pre-purchase travel tickets. Tried to contact them
      several times. Exchanged emails to set up a time - they didn't
      respond to availability.
    * Stormy - Will write a proposal how to spend the money from Nokia
      to improve GNOME mobility based on discussion. Bastien is doing
      some research on this.
    * Stormy - To work with John (J5) Palmieri to renegotiate the costs
      for the Boston Summit.
    * Stormy - To send Bastien contact details for Nokia Advisory Board.
    * Stormy - To add advisory board member roles to wiki.
    * Stormy - To add the information she got about opening nonprofits
      in other countries to the wiki.
    * Stormy - To follow up with Friends of GNOME post card senders to
      make sure they have sent them.
    * Stormy/Brian - Will follow up the GULEV Free & Open Source
      Software Conference 2010 organizers and provide them with a list
      of potential GNOME speakers in Mexico.
    * Vincent - To contact Murray Cumming for a person to look over the
      Berlin Desktop Summit organization.
    * Vincent - To mail KDE eV board to tell about our vote for Desktop
    * Vincent - To update the foundation page about advisory board fees
      for non-profits.
    * Vincent - To talk to previous board members to see if they want
      to participate in mentoring new board members.

New Action Items

    * Andreas will follow up with Andrew Savory from ?LiMo to see if
      relevant information from their GTK+ study can be made more
    * Bastien will investigate whether security gnome org should be
      sent to release team instead of the board.
    * Bastien will ask for feedback about GUADEC on gnome-foundation
    * Bastien will create private Wiki page to sort ideas about how to
      better organize events like GUADEC.
    * Bastien will touch base with Gil Forcada and Luis Villa and add
      their feedback about GUADEC.
    * Emily will work with Rosanna on on transferring the money to
    * Germán will follow up with Murray about Ekaterina (Kat)
      Gerasimova helping with planning and possible "ack" as a sponsor.
    * Paul will send an email to the board to put together an agenda
      for a GNOME IRC meeting.
    * Paul to make sure Board members have access to the Foundation
    * Paul will create a board-mentor mailing list.

Discussed on the mailing list

    * Press release finished to announce that the Desktop Summit will
      be held in Berlin, Germany.
    * Transfer from the old board to the new board.
    * Discussion about who will serve as officers on the board.
    * The GNOME release team decided that GNOME 3 will not be released
      until March. This was announced at GUADEC.
    * The LiMO Foundation will become a member of the GNOME
      Foundation’s Advisory Board and the GNOME Foundation will become
      an Industry Liaison Partner for the ?LiMo Foundation.
    * Discussion about organizing and running GUADEC smoothly.
    * Discussion about how the security gnome org mailing list should
      be handled.
    * Planning for the GTK+ hackfest in Coruña (October 18-22).
    * Planning for the Documentation and Tools Hackfest in Berlin
      (December 2nd-5th).
    * Ongoing discussion between the GNOME and KDE boards about
      selecting a bid for the Desktop Summit 2011.
    * Ekaterina (Kat) Gerasimova from Openismus has offered to help
      with the Desktop Summit 2011 planning.
    * Bastien suggested ways to improve the GNOME Mobile website:
    * Negotiations with Ronaldo Padula from Loja Geek regarding them
      selling GNOME merchandise.
    * Discussion about the GNOME Foundation board member mentoring
      program that Emily is organizing.
    * Matthias Warkus requested a written acknowledgment of work done
      for the GNOME community. This was provided.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]