Re: A $60/year Friendship option for students

Everybody can give at any level, and if they choose, their name will be on the website.

What varies is the gifts. It wouldn't be cost effective to send a tshirt to people in India donating $10/year. Especially since we currently ship from the US.

But I don't think people are concerned about the gifts. What are people looking for with a "student level"? Right now you can donate any amount and be a "Friend of GNOME."

Stormy

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Bradley M. Kuhn <bkuhn ebb org> wrote:
narendra sisodiya wrote at 06:09 (EDT):

> For Indian Student, 500 RS per Annum is good option. this is
> equivalent to US $10 Dollar

I've heard recently about the Ardour project donation system, which has
different levels set for the annual giving based on where in the world
you live.  Perhaps GNOME might want to do something similar to make sure
that the "right amount" is set, with regard to percentage of average
income in a given place.

I also agree that it's good to have a student-level of giving that
matches in benefits to the "normal level".  Full-time students often
don't have a lot of spare cash, however, the student donors of today (at
a reduced level) are the most consistent regular donors (at full level)
of tomorrow.  I believe FSF's membership program has shown that over
time.  I know many FSF Associate Members who were student donors in the
early 2000's when the program was started who are now some of the most
consistent and enthusiastic Associate Members today.

It's important not to make students feel like "second-class" donors even
if they can't give as much as people with full-time jobs.  Same is true
for people who live in parts of the world where average income is much
lower.
--

  -- bkuhn