Re: Meeting Minutes Published - October 29, 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 15:27 -0600, Brian Cameron wrote:

>      * There has been a recent complaint that a GNOME community member
>        had a blog post which does not follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
>        The board is discussing how to addressing this particular issue.
>        More generally, we need to make sure that GNOME Foundation members
>        sign the GNOME Code of Conduct, and perhaps make it a requirement
>        for new members to sign.

I strongly disagree here, unless the Foundation also takes a much more
proactive stand on violations of the code of conduct than its current
policy.

though abiding to the general of "don't be a dick"[0], I withdrew my
signature from the CoC exactly because of the non-enforcement clause:

  There is no official enforcement of these principles

unless the CoC gets an official enforcement (and this paragraph is
removed) any requirement on having members sign the CoC page is a
pointless exercise.

if signing the CoC will be required for foundation members while the it
remains an empty document, where everything is permitted because every
time something happens we need to wait for the board to convene and use
three meetings to decide what course of action should be taken, then
I'll be *extremely* sad - but I just won't renew my membership.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

+++

[0] AKA "Wheaton's Law"