Re: Sponsorship for hackfests

2009/3/31 Philip Van Hoof <pvanhoof gnome org>:
> On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 09:37 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
>> Hi Philip,
>>
>> I agree with you that when the foundation has spent money on
>> initiatives, the people who have benefitted have not always done
>> everything they might have to publicise the support and ensure that
>> people could see a clear value to the spending. The difficulty that
>> Lucas has had getting articles & reports about events for the annual
>> report testifies to this, as does the long lay-off in GNOME Journal
>> editions.
>
>> I believe that the foundation board at least does request things like
>> this - they've asked people to blog about events where they're funded to
>> attend, and (as you say) I've seen proposals that attendees do
>> interviews during co-ordinated events like the hackfest.
>
> Push for it, in a much more formal way. Don't just request them. It's
> the foundation's money: you can request things like this. We voted for
> you people so that you can.

Sorry, but being on a foreign country, for hacking purposes and still
doing some blogging is hard enough. You can ask, but you can't enforce
people to do it. You're forgetting the nature of the project, some
people is willing to do some work, like write code, and the foundation
helps, forcing people to blog or write articles is going to do nothing
but hold people back from gathering together and write code, and if it
doesn't they can just not blog and say they didn't have time (and they
will be probably right about this).

I understand your concern, but I encourage you to organize a hackfest,
and try to push everyone to blog about it, and still, people in the
outside would feel that the activities haven't been publitized enough.
I'm talking with my experience on organizing the theming api hackfest
here.