Re: Sponsorship for hackfests

Hi Philip,

Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> I for example remember that in Berlin we had the idea of putting
> interviews with the hackers online. I never found those.
>
> This should be something the Foundation pushes for (given that they
> funded many hackers' flights I think it's fair that the Foundation gets
> at least some interviews with the hackers, to put online, in return).

I agree with you that when the foundation has spent money on
initiatives, the people who have benefitted have not always done
everything they might have to publicise the support and ensure that
people could see a clear value to the spending. The difficulty that
Lucas has had getting articles & reports about events for the annual
report testifies to this, as does the long lay-off in GNOME Journal
editions.

[Aside: Lucas, are you still looking for an article/collection of
articles about GUADEC?]

I believe that the foundation board at least does request things like
this - they've asked people to blog about events where they're funded to
attend, and (as you say) I've seen proposals that attendees do
interviews during co-ordinated events like the hackfest.

But we don't have a whip, and we don't have a full-time editor to go
around and constantly remind people of the things they promised they'd
do. In a volunteer organisation, the members need to take personal
responsibility for things like this, more often than not.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary