Re: New GNOME Foundation Members

On vr, 2009-06-05 at 19:51 -0300, Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle wrote:
> Em Sex, 2009-06-05 às 11:46 +0200, Ruben Vermeersch escreveu:
> > Would it be possible to include a small bio of these people when you
> > announce their membership? IIRC, applicants have to give it anyway, so
> > it's just a matter of copy-paste. Most new members don't introduce them
> > (no hard feelings for that), so it would be nice to have some way of
> > knowing who the unknown names are and what they do (that'll help
> > building bridges in the community).
> >

> I'd rather have the new members introducing themselves instead. We did
> it before, IIRC. Maybe the web page about the process should tell people
> to subscribe to the mailing list before been approved as a foundation
> member, and to reply to the welcome mail with that small biography.

Yes off-course, it would be better if all new members did that
themselves (some, but it's a minority, already do). But there will
always be those that don't. Suppose this member X happens to work on a
library that's very interesting for my project. If I don't know him/her,
nor does he/she send an introduction mail, how will I know? Chances are
I'll never know.

The Foundation exists to help the project forward. Getting people
introduced to each other is one of the things it can do to do this. The
least it can then do (and it takes almost no effort) is post those short
biographies. New members are always free to introduce themselves in more
detail afterwards.

--
Ruben Vermeersch (rubenv)
http://www.savanne.be/