Re: GNOME DVCS Survey Results

Hi!
   First of all, thanks a millions to Behdad and Elijah for taking up
this task and congrats for managing to accomplish it so effectively.

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Jason D. Clinton <me jasonclinton com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Karl Lattimer <karl qdh org uk> wrote:
>> I'd like to remind people of John Carr's recent blog post too, someone mentioned in the survey results actually. JC has been working on bzr with git protocol support, which would fulfil many of the requirements for having a GNOME DVCS.
>>

> I'd like to point out that--of the 15 people who regularly use git and
> bzr--git still won.
> <http://www.gnome.org/~shaunm/survey/first-picks-permutations.png> It
> seems to me that a lot of brain power, sysadmin time, and general
> proliferation of Things To Learn for New People(tm) can be saved if
> the six people (1.04% of respondents) who ranked bzr above git in that
> graph can just bite the bullet and admit that git won. Can we please
> just all move on?
>
> My fear is that this effort to keep bzr on life support will cause bzr
> to show up as a requirement in distcheck for modules maintained by
> people who are still holding out.

  So say we all (?) but now is the problem of who will do the move to
git? Last I checked, nobody except for Federico volunteered for that
and IIRC he is going to do this using his "spare time" which we all
know might not be enough for such a big task. I hope I am wrong about
this and we do have enough resources to do the move but in case I am
right, I think we should seriously consider John's idea.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124