GTK Questions

Guys,

I work at NASA, and we’re moving to a gnome linux environment. I was wondering if you could give us some inputs on the GTK toolkit. We’re migrating from X.

We have several huge applications (One of which displays lists of several thousand commands to be sent to the ISS). They are memory hogs, and graphically intense (e.g., currently use a series of XmList widgets to display various fields of commands as a single row).

Our options include: GTK, OpenGL, Qt, Swing, SWT, Tk, .NET and AJAX. Languages include Java, C, C++, Perl, TCL, etc.

We can’t go with something that is LESS responsive than our current “X” applications written in C or C++, and we were wondering if GTK, generally speaking, is comparable to compiled "X" applications in response speeds and memory usage.

Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Tillman

Mtillman3_houston1 comcast net<mailto:Mtillman3_houston1 comcast net>