Meeting Minutes Published - November 25, 2009

The meeting minutes for the November 25th board meeting is now public.
Refer here:

Other past board meetings are archived here:

-- text of the latest minutes follows --

Minutes for Meeting of November 25th, 2009

Next Meeting

December 10, 2009


    * Behdad Esfahbod
    * Brian Cameron
    * Diego Escalante
    * Germán Póo-Caamaño
    * Rosanna Yuen
    * Srinivasa Ragavan
    * Stormy Peters
    * Vincent Untz


    * Lucas Roca


    * None


Recurring Items

    * Review past action items.
    * Did each person with action items send their status reports to the
      board list before the meeting?
    * Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
      to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
    * Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
    * System administrator hiring - waiting for funding.
    * Update website.

Old items

    * None

New items

    * GUADEC 2010 bid from .nl - The board discussed the status of
      making an announcement.
          o Stormy: Draft press release ready. We are waiting on quotes
            from Government officials.
          o Vincent: Lucas has placeholder website ready to be
          o Germán: Will monitor the organization and raise a flag if
    * WebKitGTK+ hackfest: Now waiting for the travel committee to
      determine how much money is needed for travel. They currently need
      3554.28 Euros (though since Joanie is now not going this is
      probably 2754.28 Euros).
    * The board approved giving $350 to to promote GNOME. The
      money will come out of Local Outreach or Other Events funding.
    * Regarding the proposed doubling advisory board fees. The board
      formally approved this for fees going forward.
    * Zana plans to put together a summary of what needs to be done for
      GnuCash scrubbing written up this week. She will also test
      Behdad's script.
    * Planning for the December advisory board meetings. Three topics
      are planned: GNOME events, GUADEC 2011 co-locating with KDE,
      copyright assignments.
    * 401k should be done by December 1st,
    * Stormy verified the transfer of GNOME.Asia from GoDaddy to Ghandi
      is done.

Action Items

Completed Actions

    * Germán - Take over John Palmieri's previous task to propose new
      obligations that people who receive travel subsidies should be
      asked to do in return.
    * Stormy - Will check director's email to verify the transfer of
      GNOME.Asia from to
    * Stormy - Should the GNOME Foundation buy a blanket LWN membership.
      Will bring it up with Jonathan Corbet next week.
    * Stormy - Set up a new Doodle meeting survey to determine the best
      time for future meetings.

New action items that were completed soon after the meeting:

    * Germán - Send an update about the budget available for hackfests
      so that the board can decide whether the WebKitGTK+ hackfest fits
      in the budget.
    * Stormy - Ask people from advisory board companies for quotes to
      include in the press release.
    * Stormy - Will start work on the press release.
    * Stormy - Send an email to the advisory board to find out whether
      the topics for the December meeting will be copyright assignments
      or events+copyright assignments

Old Actions

    * Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made
      public. Behdad sent a scrubbed GnuCash file to Rosanna to check,
      but still pending.
    * Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
      Handbook". Still pending.
    * Brian - Look into organizing a hackfest on "how to make it easier
      for more people to do some usability magic". Discussions on
      usability list just starting, and making progress with seeking
      NLnet grant. Ongoing.
    * Diego - Will work to organize an IRC Foundation meeting.
    * Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from and gnome-marketing to define the best way for
      organizations like to participate in the GNOME
    * Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members
      who become inactive. Still pending.
    * Lucas - Work with Andreas for the donation ruler. Try to put $15k
      in the ruler in "yellow" ($10k for Canonical, $5k for Google) to
      indicate that these funds are matching. Waiting for Paul to get
      the general marketing message behind the ruler before publishing
      it. Paul was pinged on September 17th about it.
    * Lucas - Work to ensure that Foundation members sign the GNOME Code
     of Conduct, and make it a requirement that new Foundation members
      need to sign this. Lucas completed a draft currently under review.
    * Lucas & Alberto - Set up a Euro bank account. Still in progress.
    * Paul - Will provide an overview of hiring a sysadmin and the
      benefits that has for the overall GNOME community.
    * Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
      necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
      but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website
    * Rosanna - to send check to pay 401K setup fees.
    * Srini - Ping John Palmieri for status about importing Paypal data
      into GnuCash. John Palmieri was pinged, but no response yet.
    * Srini - Send out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting
      with be an IRC meeting to discuss Done. Srini has the meeting
      logs, but not yet published in the wiki. Yet to format and upload
      and announce the meeting logs. Leaving this as an open item until
      the logs are available.
    * Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements we made
      with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing
      materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system
      administrator. Working with Max and waiting on him.
    * Stormy - Create a more public process for suggesting and deciding
      upon topics for future advisory board meetings. Conversations in
    * Vincent - Will look into who the GNOME Foundation should send to
      the Mobile User Experience conference, perhaps Paul Cooper.
      Vincent mailed Paul and is waiting for an answer.
    * Vincent - Touch base with Matthew Garrett and with the GNOME
      community to determine how the GNOME Code of Conduct needs to be
      enhanced to reflect speakers.
    * Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
      expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct.
    * Vincent - Follow-up with Intel to determine what to do about
      copyright assignment for clutter.
    * Vincent - Publish the new Advisory Board duties on the web and to
      send an email to the foundation-list to announce it.
    * Vincent & Lucas - Determine how to announce the endorsement of
      Franklin Street Statement on Freedom and Network Services. This is
      blocking on a release team action that Lucas has ("push for a "web
      services" set of libraries")
    * Everyone - Provide available meeting times in Doodle after Stormy
      provides the survey. Be flexible!

New Action Items

    * Diego - Start discussion about how to improve how money is
      allocated for hackfests.
    * Lucas - Will work to put together some web information
    * Stormy - Send out announcements regarding doubling of adboard
    * Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting
      work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can
      we work together).
    * Vincent - Will start discussion with adboard about co-locating in
      2011 after the announcement.
    * Vincent - Follow up with video hackfest organizers and find out if
      there is any sponsorship money due.

Discussed on board-list

    * Planning for the 2010 GUADEC announcement.
    * Discussion about the WebKitGTK+ budget.
    * Planning for the December Advisory Board meeting, which will be
      about recent and upcoming GNOME events.
    * The board agreed to entrust the U.S. Event box to Larry Cafiero,
      who was recommended by Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier.
    * Discussion about how to improve the Code of Conduct and to add
      Speaker Guidelines for conferences/events.
    * Discussion about transferring money allocated to the GNOME.Asia
    * Discussion about request to prove funding to the event in
      India to promote GNOME.
    * Diego proposed a draft email regarding how to add new ways for
      organizations to be involved and contribute to the GNOME
      Foundation and sent the email to the gnome-marketing list.
    * Considering purchasing a LWN membership that could be passed along
      to Foundation members and/or people who donate to GNOME.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]