Re: Software relicensing, how is it done ?

(apperently my other email just now missed the list due to mailing from my
ordinary email address, here it is...)

Hi Guys,
  Theres obviously been some scrutiny concerning our decision to finally
relicense Glade or primarily, libgladeui - so I will try to do my best
to address your concerns and then share a little where I'm coming from
(remember I wouldn't be here in the first place if I didn't love you guys).

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Hubert Figuiere <hub figuiere net> wrote:
[...]
> No yet another BitKeeper-like situation. We have seen what it does.
>
> BTW, there are already 6 IDEs that are Free Software: Anjuta, KDevelop,
> CodeBlock, Eclipse, MonoDevelop and Emacs[1]. So why wasting time to
> allow a 7th one that could be non-free instead of making sure the
> existing one rock even more.
>
> I'm very skeptical about the whole process of relicensing Glade to allow
> non-Free derivative of it.

I'm not 100% schooled on what exactly happened with BitKeeper, but my
base understanding is that the developers found ways to work around the
license in order to base a new work on free work, drop the free one
and only support proprietary extensions of BitKeeper ?

Without jumping to conclusions about the above statement all I can say
is that it deeply saddens me to think that its possible that I could be
suspected of such a treasonous plan, by people I respect and have come
to consider as my peers; as specially when I stand here practically
single-handedly responsible for delivering you freely a Glade 3 that
was little more than a prototype and a dream years ago.

If these are indeed the trust issues we are faced with in our
community, there's obviosly nothing I can say to put your worries
at ease.

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Richard M. Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:
>    I dont see how I can agree that entering in direct competition
>    with anyone who wants to make a dollar from a software solution is
>    going to bring us to that long-term goal.
>
> The GNU Project has a history of competing successfully with
> proprietary software.  For instance, GCC competed directly with
> non-free C compilers, and has done quite well against them.  And the
> GNU operating system as a whole has done pretty well against Unix.
>
> Any free IDE almost surely competes directly with non-free IDEs, but
> that is no reason to give up developing them, and I am confident our
> community will not.

Richard,
  We obviously dont share the same goals as a big picture, so I wont
try to pretend to.

While "They" may be playing a game of keeping secrets in an attempt to
cripple free software so that theirs is perceived as "better" - I cannot
sit and play the same game. My weak attempts to get corporate users of
free software to give back to the community will fall on deaf ears for
my obvious hypocrisy.

> While you may be most concerned with who makes how much money, I'm
> more concerned with advancing our freedom.

While I am sincerely greatfull that we have guys in the political
sphere and the PR world as well, I've prefered to stay silently
patient and write Glade, for exactly free, and so I will not indulge
in a meaningless argument about the above statement.