Re: Copyright assignment policy

On 14/03/2008, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <foss mailinglists gmail com> wrote:

>  ash contact bg wrote:
>
>  | What is the policy of contributing to the GNOME project and expected
>  copyright
>  | assignment?
>  | I am Alexander Shopov and I act as a co-ordinator of the Bulgarian Gnome
>  | translation team.
>  | Up till now, the copyrights have been assigned to the Free Software
>  Foundation, Inc.
>

> Allow me to ask a different question : what is the problem or
>  anticipated problem that compels you to ask this question, given that
>  until now FSF was being assigned copyrights ? Perhaps a response to that
>  can also provide a guidance on to the reply ...

>From what has been said on the thread, no copyright assignment
contracts have been signed, so no copyright assignment has taken
place.

So the response to your question is that by placing inaccurate
copyright statements on the translations it makes it more difficult to
do things that require consent of the copyright holder: namely
pursuing infringements and relicensing the work (e.g. moving a GPLv2
only work to GPLv3).

We aren't requesting copyright assignment, so translators should be
credited as copyright holder for their work.

James.