Re: GNOME and KDE to Co-locate Flagship Conferences on Gran Canaria in 2009

The one thing we have made clear to our Advisory Board is we do not want this to be an excuse for companies to invest less in either events.  That would be disastrous.  This is not a joint event.  The GNOME Board and KDE eV agreed on this with the understanding that we are co-located, not one conference.  Some details can be shared but most of it should be treated as we just happen to show up at the same time and place.  Its buisness as usual for the most part.  If we wanted a joint conference we would have just thrown a Freedesktop.org event.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
2008/7/15 Dave Neary <bolsh gnome org>:

> Hi Paul,
> To my knowledge, Akademy runs at a loss, or no better than break-even,
> while GUADEC has allowed the GNOME Foundation to propose hackfests, fund
> speakers travelling to conferences, pay for the Boston Summit, fund the
> GNOME Outreach Programme: Accessibility, and more.

Something that I've been thinking about is sponsor affiliation,
something that I discussed with some Igalia folks, the idea is to let
sponsors decide to which organization do they want to affiliate so
that besides the common budget, all the remaining money goes to the
one they affiliate with or both (in case they want to choose both). I
don't think this is going to be an issue with the biggest sponsors,
but some of the smallest ones might want to just support the
project/organization that they have interest for.

Other than that, I think that we should share as much as we can as
long as we keep the identity of each event separated.

Alberto Ruiz