Re: Akademy+GUADEC *2009* Hosting Proposals

fwiw I'm staying silent because of this threeschyzofrenic feeling,
having colleagues in the three proposals. I have no doubts the three
teams have what it takes to organize this kind of event.

I just want to be precise on something:

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Dave Neary <bolsh gnome org> wrote:
> The Finland bid will obviously (?) have Nokia backing, so we should have
> a good site, some people working to organise and have a very smoothly
> run conference. They've done a lot of advance work, and Finland is a
> solid (if slightly pricey) option.

Nokia hasn't been involved at all in the Tampere candidature. All the
merits belong to the http://coss.fi team, they have done a very good
job defining an interesting offer in a city with plenty of available
infrastructure in July and a Ryanair airport. As explained in their
report, they get all the support from the local public institutions.
The venue is a university and the team is independent.

In terms of sponsorship, Nokia has been supporting GUADEC since 2005.
This year with Trolltech inside is also sponsoring aKademy. I would be
surprised I next year Nokia wouldn't be sponsoring the joint event, no
matter where it happens.

Of course the Nokians are interested about the idea of having a
GUADEC+aKademy in Finland for the first time, but don't you think that
they put ugly faces on the prospect of visiting Galicia or the Canary
Islands.  ;)
--
Quim Gil /// http://flors.wordpress.com