Re: "Ga-nome" or "NOME"

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 18:05 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Ani Peter">
>
> > I have heard a lot of people pronouncing GNOME as Ga-nome and I feel Nome
> > is the correct pronunciation.
> >
> > Appreciate if someone please advise me which is the correct pronunciation.
>
> When folks ask me about this at conferences and such, I always say, "doesn't
> matter how you pronounce it, as long as you love using it", quickly followed
> up with, "but GNOME developers say 'guh-nome' because the 'G' comes from the
> 'GNU' project". :-)

I would say "some GNOME developers" or "many GNOME developers". [1]
I know that 'guh-nome' is the proper pronunciation, and I will tell
people so if asked directly.  But I just can't bring myself to say
it that way.

Maybe we should just eschew all traditional pronunciations and start
pronouncing GNOME as "Love".

[1] Actually, I would say "some Gnome developers", if my oration
skills somehow allowed me to convey the capitalization. :)

--
Shaun