Re: Call for hosts for GUADEC 2009

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Ted Gould <ted gould cx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 14:38 -0400, Adam Schreiber wrote:
>  > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:34 PM, BJörn Lindqvist <bjourne gmail com> wrote:
>  > > Usa isn't the only country in North America. Maybe Canada or Mexico
>  > >  has less strict rules about visas? It is not hard to imagine that the
>  > >  Americans might feel that it is a little unfair that guadec always is
>  > >  in Europe. Couldn't there be two conferences?
>  >
>  > I too would appreciate another North/Central/South America based
>  > conference if GUADEC can't be moved across the pond occasionally.
>  > However, I suspect that because the GNOME summit is held in Boston
>  > every year we will have to make due.
>
>  It seems to me that the Boston Summit should turn into the "Americas
>  Conference" and leave GUADEC as the "European Conference".  While I know
>  that there are a lot of GNOME Folks in Boston, it would seem that moving
>  it around the Americas would be reasonable.
>
>  Now all we need is a cleaver acronym for it :)

But what if most of your regular collaborators are on the other side
of the pond?  GNOME is a global project, and developers are not
organized into projects by geographic location.  I think there's a big
benefit to having one 'official' conference where you know most GNOME
hackers will be attending.  Having additional local sub-conferences is
great as well, but I don't see the benefit of having several competing
'main' conferences.

--
jonner