Re: Suggestion for coming elections

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 15:03 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quim Gil wrote:
> > What happens when you get less than 7 people with votes?
>
> Excuse me, I think I misunderstood.
>
> You mean, suppose we have 10 candidates, 150 voters, and the
> distribution of votes is:
>
> Candidate 1:  120
> Candidate 2:  107
> Candidate 3:   64
> Candidate 4:   63
> Candidate 5:   52
> Candidate 6:   44
> Candidate 7:    0
> Candidate 8:    0
> Candidate 9:    0
> Candidate 10:   0
>
> Aside from the fact that it's extremely unlikely (everyone at least

Not with your proposed scheme.  Everyone wants to vote for the
superstars, right?  And doh, they run out of vote after three.

> votes for themselves, don't they?),

Ok, how do you deal with:

Candidate 1:  130
Candidate 2:  117
Candidate 3:   74
Candidate 4:   63
Candidate 5:   22
Candidate 6:   18
Candidate 7:    8
Candidate 8:    6
Candidate 9:    6
Candidate 10:   6

You've essentially widened the gap.

>  would you really want a candidate
> who got 0 votes from the membership joining the board?

0 isn't much different than 1 btw.  Or 2 for that matter.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759