Re: Money spending, questions for the candidates

Hi,

Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> o. Given that the Foundation of GNOME has plenty of money, will you if
>    elected vote to spend this money on important projects?

I just want to put this in perspective: the foundation has $200,000 in
the bank, with guaranteed income of $100,000 a year approx. One employee
costs at least $70,000 per year, and depending on the role up to
$100,000 or more.

Manpower is expensive :)

>     - Development on language bindings, like a binding generator for
>       for example Android and other mobile targets (plenty of our
>       components don't require Gtk+ yet could run on this target)
>
>     - Funding development on development tools (like the new Anjuta)
>
>     - Development on a WinCE port of Gtk+
>
>     - Development on a P.I.P.S. (Symbian with POSIX) port of Gtk+

There are some good project ideas there, and there are certainly bodies
who might be prepared to subsidise them. Someone (?) needs to go hunt
for money for one or more of those projects to make them happen.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary