Re: KDE's rebuke to OOXML

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 17:00 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:

> In http://dot.kde.org/1194021253/, major KDE developers announce their
> rejection of OOXML.  It would be a good thing for GNOME to make
> announcement equally unhelpful to Microsoft's promotion of OOxXML.
> GNOME and KDE should stand side-by-side in this.

Hi Richard,

I don't think "major KDE developers announce their rejection of OOXML"
is a correct description of that page.  First, it's an interview, not an
announcement.  Next, it's an interview with two KOffice developers.

About OOXML, lets see what they say:

        The standardisation process of OfficeOpenXML has turned sour,
        not in the least because Microsoft couldn't resist the
        temptation to cheat. Right now we're seeing evidence of a
        concerted campaign at discrediting OpenDocument vis-a-vis
        OfficeOpen XML. That's unfortunate, to say the least.

        If OfficeOpen XML becomes an ISO standard, we will, in all
        likely hood, still not spend time on supporting it. The standard
        is enormous, very complex and to a large extent so badly
        specified that a full implementation is probably even harder
        than implementing the old Microsoft binary file formats. Add to
        that patent encumbrances and problems with copyrighted elements
        -- and our conclusion is that we prefer to concentrate on making
        KOffice a great set of applications that are satisfying to use
        and satisfying to develop.

So, in short, they are saying that 1) microsoft cheated, 2) it's complex
and poorly documented, 3) we're not interested in implementing it.

Now look from GNOME/OO.o side: We are interested in implementing it,
regardless of it being a standard or not.  Because it gives our users
the freedom to move away from MS Office.

The OOXML being poorly documented is a recognized issue too, and that's
what Jody has focused on previously.

I personally think Jody's stance on this issue is more accurate and more
informed.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/