Re: OOXML [was Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07]

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 11:58:34PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

> However, the rest of the situations are not analogous.  The ECMA
> committee has explicitly undertaken to make OOXML an ISO standard.  If
> Gnumeric had explicitly undertaken to facilitate the sale of addictive
> drugs, that would be analogous.

That is a stretch.   It's undeniably that improvements made in MOOX
at my request will tangentially facilitate ISO acceptance.  However,
as I've explained intent matters.  We could just as easily decry
IBM's Rob Weir for presenting weaknesses in drafts of MOOX.  The TC
definitely reviewed his findings and added clarifying documentation.

> Thank you.  If you make a public commitment to stay out of the
> activity of satisfying ISO, and to stay inactive in the committee
> while its focus is on satisfying ISO, that will show that you're
> not helping the standardization of OOXML.

Excellent.  The board met on Thursday, and will produce a more
official statement in the coming days.