Re: OOXML [was Re: GNOME Foundation Board Meeting Minutes :: 7/6/07]

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 02:04:14PM -0700, Andy Tai wrote:
> On 10/31/07, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 11:41 -0700, Andy Tai wrote:
> > > What was done is done. For the future...
> >
> > The idea and board's decision was transcribed in board meeting minutes
> > and sent to this least a few months ago.  A mild discussion started and
> > there was no strong opposition to the membership.  I don't think just
> > because a fool flamed us makes that decision any different.  We're not
> > supporting OOXML.
>
> The membership can still push for a change from "not supporting" to
> "actively opposing" given the debate now is more active.

What does 'actively oppose' mean in concrete terms ?
- Asking frivolous questions ?
- Writing bad documentation ?
- Starting flame wars on the mailing list ?

It's easy to see how one can be a productive member of the TC with
some control over what areas to enhance.

It's also not difficult to be irrelevant, eg the situation while
issues are being resolved.

I do not see how one can ethically be a member of the group and
attempt to sabotage it.

The middle road seems like the best course of action.   We'll assist
in the areas that are mutually beneficial, and abstain in other
areas.