Re: Hiring a part-time sysadmin?

On Sat, Jun 23, 2007 at 12:05:59PM +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> Meanwhile, our sysadmins seem overworked, causing understandable delays
> for simple requests. Now seems like a good time to pay someone so that
> requests for new accounts, mailing lists, bugzilla products, etc, get
> done almost immediately.

New accounts and new bugzilla products are not a sysadmin task. Although
of course new accounts can be done by someone who is hired (or
sysadmins), as long as procedures are followed.

Mailing list setup is broken. Hiring someone to figure it all out might
be a good idea; because currently I do not setup mailing lists just
because I do not want to figure out how.

I'd like to know what this person would do in daily tasks (concretely).
The ideal sysadmin just makes existing tasks take less amounts of work.

Note that we do can find enough persons willing to be a part time
sysadmin (without either hiring or specifically requesting). The real
problem is that usually they aren't known. Further, known persons are
usually overworked with other things, so making them a sysadmin would
not help. Don't really see a solution though. Perhaps we should give a
random person the ability to do lots of damage.

--
Regards,
Olav