Re: Money spending, questions for the candidates

Hi,

2007/12/3, Lucas Rocha <lucasr gnome org>:
> Hi,
>
> > The questions:
> >
> > o. Given that the Foundation of GNOME has plenty of money, will you if
> >    elected vote to spend this money on important projects?
> >
> >    Being mostly interested in mobile targets and GNOME Mobile, I could
> >    certainly come up with some projects that might both increase
> >    deployment of our GNOME technologies on mobile devices and increase
> >    the amount of contributors.
> >
> >    Both reasons are, I think, part of the reason why our Foundation
> >    exists.
> >
> >     - Development on language bindings, like a binding generator for
> >       for example Android and other mobile targets (plenty of our
> >       components don't require Gtk+ yet could run on this target)
> >
> >     - Funding development on development tools (like the new Anjuta)
> >
> >     - Development on a WinCE port of Gtk+
> >
> >     - Development on a P.I.P.S. (Symbian with POSIX) port of Gtk+
> >
> >     - Improve the existing Win32 target of Gtk+
> >
> >     - Employ a maintainer and/or additional developers for Gtk+'s
> >       development
> >
> >     - Pay people to travel to schools and universities to educate
> >       students about GNOME (serious educating, not just doing cheap
> >       presentations)
> >
> >     - ... (for making these decisions we need people who'll make real
> >       and hard decisions)
>
> First of all, the "plenty of money" that the GNOME Foundation
> currently has is not enough to pay a lot of people to do many
> different things. Second, I'm still not convinced that it's good,
> safe, and healthy to have the GNOME Foundation paying certain people
> from the community to develop software. Specially considering that
> GNOME is heavily based on volunteer work.
>
> As I said before, the GNOME Foundation role is to make sure that the
> community has the needed infrastructure for its daily work and to
> support community activities as much as it can.
>
> > o. What is your opinion on an examination that could carry the title:
> >    "GNOME Mobile certified software developer exam"
>
> I don't like the general idea of certifications. I think the
> contributions that one gives to a certain FLOSS project is more than
> enough to prove its compentence on a certain software development
> area.
>
> > o. How are you planning to help the GNOME community overcome the fact
> >    that we have relatively few technical leadership?
> >
> >    - By waiting for the integration our softwares to turn into
> >      something that looks a lot like that O.S. called CHA-OS?
>
> ?
>
> >    - By letting companies like Nokia, Novell, ... set our goals?
> >      I think this is what's happening right now. Might be fine imo.
>
> I don't really know what you mean here. Anyway, I disagree with the "I
> think this is what's happening right now" part anyway. I don't really
> see those companies setting our goals. IMO, GNOME is totally open for
> volunteer and individual efforts which can have a lot of influence in
> the project and hence setting our goals too.

> [...]

Just a clarification about this "not in the context of Board
elections". What I mean here is that all this technical/development
issues can/should be discussed, decided and achieved by the community.
The Board would then help the community where the support is needed.

--lucasr