Re: Towards more collaboration between the academic world and the GNOME community

    This is very timely. I've been asked to head up a pilot project here at
    the University of Toronto with a goal of engaging students in open
    source development.

If you launch a project of "open source development", you can teach
students how to participate in useful projects of collaborative
development.  That is a useful thing to do, in a practical sense.

If you call the same project "free/libre software development", you
can teach students how to participate in collaborative development
projects, and at the same time teach them to value and defend freedom
for software users.  That would serve a practical purpose and at the
same time strengthen our community's civil virtues.  So how about it?

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.