Re: Towards more collaboration between the academic world and the GNOME community

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 01:05 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> So, how do we make this happen? A few key people will be needed to lead
> this effort. We'll create a mailing list, which will be used to discuss
> how we can improve such collaborations, but which will also serve as an
> entry point for researchers who want to work with GNOME. We'll need to
> be open about proposals coming from researchers and as helpful as
> possible. One of the first steps will also be to find people in
> universities and labs who could be interested in collaborating with us.

I'm not in the academic world, but what I've had good success with is
sponsoring Senior Projects for CS majors.  I've been sponsoring projects
that are open source, mostly Inkscape and SVG related.  It seems that
most CS programs want "real" projects for their graduates (great things
to talk about in interviews) and OS makes them better.  I would see no
reason that GNOME couldn't sponsor some.

Now, the problem might be that in the US the deadlines for projects in
the 2007-2008 school year are very close if not already passed.  I know
for my alma mater it is the end of this week.

		--Ted