Re: Questions for the candidates - let's start the discussion(s)

Hi, here are my responses to this set of questions:

[1] Why should one become a member of the GNOME Foundation?

I don't know that 'becoming a Foundation member' is as important a goal as 'making positive contributions to GNOME' and 'becoming a productive member of the GNOME community.' Folks who have achieved the latter two goals absolutely should become Foundation members, but I'm not sure if this question deals with (1) those folks specifically becoming members, or (2) just anyone in general, including folks new to GNOME.

In the former case, I think it's quite simple - regular contributors to GNOME deserve recognition for their hard work. This benefits the GNOME community: we can share how many contributors strong we are. It benefits the foundation members as well; it gives them a voice (via the annual vote) to shape GNOME's future in ways outside of their direct contributions to GNOME.

In the latter case, I think it's more important to focus on getting regular contributors than getting Foundation members specifically.

[2] What do you think is the most important item on the Board's agenda right now ? What will you do more or better than the previous boards ?

I'm not on the Board right now, but after talking with a few current and former Board members, it seems the most important item on the Board's agenda right now is hiring an business manager who can ensure our funds and funding opportunities are handled appropriately and we can reap the most benefit from them. I think this one step is necessary to secure the resources needed to achieve any of a number of goals we could choose to focus on for the next year and beyond.

I'm hoping that this coming year's Board will be known for being good communicators, both within the GNOME community as well as with the folks outside the community we interface with. This is something I would like to focus on.

[3] How do you manage your time and that of others ? Are you good at working with others including those who might have a differing opinion than yours and try to reach consensus and agree on actions ?

Honestly, I manage my time via a running queue on a small notepad. Based on priority I let some tasks bubble up to the top of the queue, but in general I try to run through the queue in order, working through each item until it's done, crossing it out and moving on to the next one. Whenever I am waiting on a task for someone else to complete in order to complete one of my tasks, I make a note. As I continue to block on their input I will move on to other things in the list, reminding the folks I'm blocking on of what I need periodically. :)

I think I'm pretty good at working with others even when we have differing opinions on how to do things. As an interaction designer, I'm used to mocking up 'best-case scenario' UI designs with the understanding that technically, some of the things I'd like implemented are quite difficult and/or not possible in the time frame allotted for the feature. I always treat my UI mocks as a 'draft' to visualize some ideas and start 'negotiations' with developers ( :) ). I also understand from running usability tests on my designs that my assumptions on how to present a feature to a user are not always correct, especially on the first couple iterations of a design.

I think my approach as an interaction designer is probably a good example of how I would deal with conflict resolution if elected to the Board: working to understand the pros/cons and factors contributing to the decision, willingness to compromise, and not being afraid to do a bit of legwork to research/test potential solutions before making a final decision.

[4] How are you going to manage your current contributions to GNOME once you become a Board Member ?

I hope to make a good chunk of my contributions, the GNOME Brand Book, a part of my work on the Board. Most of my current work I do on my 2-hour roundtrip daily commute on the train. I have a solid chunk of time to devote on a consistent basis - a nice built in time-management system. :)

[5] What do you think is the most important market for GNOME over the coming year and what do you feel you can do to help GNOME achieve better presence ?

I have always thought that children and students (especially computer science students) are the most important markets for FOSS in general. To help GNOME achieve better presence, I'd like to continue the branding work I've done, continue helping out with the wgo effort, and eventually help brainstorm and implement some cool marketing projects to increase GNOME's visibility. For example, Firefox has a 'cool marketing project' approach with its 30-second video ad contest and NY Times ad fundraising - these efforts seem to have been successful and I think many would agree Firefox has achieved a strong brand. I think GNOME would succeed in gaining visibility with this approach as well.

The work that Opened Hand and Nokia, among others, have done to bring GNOME to embedded devices is also key to bringing about awareness of GNOME. OLPC is also an important project for GNOME, especially since it is aimed towards such an important audience. These are good opportunities for us to reach a wider audience.

I also think projects like the Google Summer of Code and Women's Summer Outreach Program have been successful at getting technical college students from around the world interested and involved in GNOME. I think we should continue to sponsor activities like this.

[6] What are your plans to encourage and mentor contributions to GNOME from Latin America, Africa and Asia ? How would you increase community participation ?

I honestly do not have specific plans to this end. I am used to working with FOSS contributors from many different countries. I think Sara's ideas of working with our translators and focusing on schools and universities to increase participation in these areas are quite good.

[7] What areas do you see lacking currently in a complete Free Software Desktop ? What would your role be (should you be elected) in addressing the issues?

What comes to mind first for me - and it will probably sound silly: Often when I try to convince people to move to GNOME, the thing they always tell me (yes, I know a lot of geeky people) is that they can't migrate completely over to Linux/Unix because of gaming. They can't play the games they want to play, they can't get good video card drivers, etc. If it's not games, then it's one special piece of software they can't live without that they can't run.

I don't really have any specific plans to address this issue. I also don't know a whole lot about PC gaming anymore (I gave up a while ago and I only play console games now.) But offhand I would say some steps to take to approach the issues these would-be GNOME converts brought up:

1) Start some kind of ISV information page. Link to GNOME developer information (designing the pages with ISVs in mind), maybe provide some contacts / mailing-lists ISVs can contact for help, maybe provide case studies.

2) Start some kind of gaming in GNOME campaign. Inform folks of their options. If there are popular PC games out there that do run on Linux/Unix (ones written for Linux/Unix & ones that work via emulation), maintain a list of them. Maybe mention the winehq db of games that run in WINE and have links to instructions on setting it up. Maybe talk about Xen and VMware and how to set those up for gaming (if it's possible.) Maybe have or link to a list of video cards that work best for gamers to look at purchasing.

3) Maybe some kind of campaign where we point out LiveCDs and dual-booting as options to trying GNOME.

4) I don't really know anything about our contacts with video card manufacturers if they exist, but maybe it would be a good idea to try to build up good relationships with some.

Just some brainstorming.

[8] What are your planned activities to promote use of GNOME in small and medium business environments which potentially deliver many users to GNOME ?

Build up awareness of GNOME via the brand and website! Informational pages on wgo targeting these folks might be a good idea but I don't have any specific plans for that.

[9] What sources of funds do you as a Board Member (should you be elected) try to establish ? What areas do you think require most fund-love?

I honestly don't know much about the GNOME Foundation's funds right now and how best to apply them.

[10] Please rank your interests:

My interests are in the same order you listed in the question, highest to lowest rank.

(1)  GNOME evangelizing to government, enterprise, small business and
individual
(2) GNOME marketing and merchandising of branded items (nationally and internationally) (note I'm not interpreting 'items' as just t-shirts and coffee cups. If that were the case I'd bump this lower down the list.)
(3) GNOME legal issues like Copyright and Patents
(4) GNOME finances and fund raising
(5) Alliance with other organisations

[11] How much familiar are you with the day-to-day happenings of GNOME? How much do you follow and participate in the main GNOME mailing lists?

I consider planet.gnome.org to be my primary source of news on day-to-day happenings in GNOME and I tend to check it several times a day. I also use my blog, which is on pgo, pretty regularly to keep folks updated on my work.

I'm on the mailing lists for the projects I'm involved most in - gnome-web-list and marketing-list right now - and I also subscribe to wiki pages in our wiki that are relevant to the projects I'm currently working on.

[12] Can you elaborate about your plans to provide the Board with a focus that steers development choices and works with allied organisations in order to define and adapt (and or adopt) standards ?

I'm interpreting this question as how I would approach with the strategic decisions the Board must make on a regular basis. Since I would be a newbie to the Board, I would consult with more experienced Board members and former Board members in any strategic decision-making if I felt I did not have the necessary background/history to form informed opinions on. While I would like to avoid making unwise strategic decisions, I do also understand that in many case a decision has to be made and the issue cannot simply be dropped. I hope to lend my prioritizing skills to the Board to help identify and drive to completion those decisions that cannot be delayed.

~m