Re: Questions

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 14:26 +0100, Robert Staudinger wrote:

> (i) Concerns can be heard throughout the community every now and then,
> that the increasing corporate interest and investment makes it harder
> and harder to contribute code for volunteers.
> Q: What is your feeling about that?

I don't have the technical background to judge this, since I'm not in
the CVS side of GNOME. Of course I have heard about patches being queued
for ages but I have also heard different reasons for that, not only
corporate vs volunteering interests.

My feeling as board candidate is that if this is a concern in the
community and the ground of this concern goes beyond technical aspects,
it should be raised up and discussed here in the foundation-list. Or
perhaps someone wants to address directly a question or complaint to the
board. This is how issues hit the agenda.

> (ii) Are you interested in working on making it easier for people
> willing to contribute code?

Oh yes, I'm interested. A lot of my time invested in GNOME goes to tasks
related to attract new people and make it easier to contribute. If code
contributors want to discuss issues beyond technical aspects, I'll be
happy to help finding solutions - no matter if I'm in the board or not
(I think the board should be a last resort)

> (iii) What measures will you conduct to make contribution of code
> easier for volunteers. (E.g. it can be rather frustrating having an
> unreviewed patch in bugzilla for months.)

It looks like you have in mind a specific problem (I'm not aware of). If
so, I recommend you to air it up so we (community) can find specific
solutions to it.

I think the board needs to make sure the channels of contribution are
open and functioning well. That they are properly documented and actions
to bring new contributors to the project are open. There are teams
working on this under their capacity. If there are issues, probably
these teams can help. If the issue is big and controversial it can scale
up to the board.

> (iv) The GNOME Advisory has been formed to handle communication
> between partys with commercial interest and the GNOME project.
> Q: Do you think that a similar institution should be formed to handle
> community feedback in an organised manner or will community
> contributors have to communicate back using mailing lists and IRC as
> it always was?

Isn't the Foundation the institution to get the community organized?
What are you suggesting exactly? What channels of communication are you
missing to provide feedback? As a community contributor I think a quite
open and non-moderated foundation-list is perfect to raise an issue
hitting the core of the community with a single email.