Re: Asking more information to prospective members

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 18:35 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Baris Cicek wrote:
> > Murray asked on membership-committee list if we should ask to
> > prospective members these questions, which are optional to answer:
> > gender, to track lack of female involvement;
> > nationality, to track lack of Asian involvement;
>
> I have no problems with these.
>
> > And one more can be:
> > public key, we can encrypt ballots in future.
>
> But I think that requiring a PGP public key is setting the bar too high
> technically for joining the foundation. Most existing members probably
> don't have a public key. And public key encryption is non-trivial.

The public key could be optional with an notice such as: "If don't know
what it means, don't worry.  It won't affect any decision about your
membership".  Probably with an extra link to get more information if
the person is interested.

Anyway, it could be solved with a key sign party in Vilanova.

--
Germán Poó-Caamaño
http://www.ubiobio.cl/~gpoo/