Re: Notes from the Desktop Architects Meeting

On 5/16/06, Glynn Foster <Glynn Foster sun com> wrote:
>  + Portland project
>    - general feeling of nearly everyone was that it's sad that GNOME is
>      not involved in this effort
>    - would be nice to get someone to at least look at the project and
>      provide feedback
>    - Waldo and some KDE people wanted to make a joint GNOME/KDE
>      statement about the project ("we love it"). Is this something we
>      want to do?

I personally have issues with it because I can't get over the fact that
Portland is building on 'unstable or draft' specifications. Build the
bricks, *then* build the wall. I guess others have difficulties that
we're not encouraging our own toolkit APIs.

I have issues with the wheel reconstruction I see in Portland. I'd
much rather put the effort into making one mediocre platform really
good, instead of spending a lot of time and developer cycles making
two mediocre platforms work more like each other and still be
mediocre, but now mediocre and integrated at a shallow level.*

Luis

* Re: portland and also ffox/ooo, I'm disappointed that overall we're
settling for shitty levels of integration when everyone keeps voting
with their feet for an OS whose primary benefit is superior
integration.