Minutes of the Board meeting, 2006/Nov/10

More old minutes with an edible crust.

GNOME Foundation Board Meeting, 2006/Nov/10

Attendance:
        Dave Neary
        Anne Oestergaard
        Jonathan Blandford
        Zana Yuen

Regrets:
        Vincent Untz
        Quim Gil
        Federico Mena Quintero

Absent:
        Jeff Waugh

Minutes:

 * ACTION: Anne to mail the members of gnome-legal to organise required
actions for contacting Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Roseti
  - Scope of relationship with SFLC
  - We need to contact WSGR and make sure we have a channel of
communication open
  - Setting up a meeting with WSGR is urgent now

 * ACTION: Anne to mail sysadmin gnome org requesting the creation of
the gnome-legal mailing list with the four initial invitees.

 * Anne requests a vote on the mailing list on whether the board
approves Murray's code of conduct. ACTION: Anne to mail board-list

 * DECISION: Budget for event box shipping: $1000 for US box, €1000 for
EU box approved

 * WSOP cheques are in the process of being paid, and Google has been
invoiced

 * Mandates for subcommittees:

The following board-mandated subcommittees exist:
 - sysadmins
 - accounts team
 - membership committee
 - GUADEC organisers
 - release team
 - marketing-private
 - GNOME Legal (NEW!)

The mandate of the legal team is:
 - Handle communication with the lawyers
 - Own legal issues within the community (redrafting proposals based on
community feedback, for example)
 - Interfacing with the board on legal issues as needs be

ACTION: Anne to write a few lines on the mandate of the legal team

 * Announcements: ACTION: Anne to mail the membership committee asking
them to announce the arrival of two new members to foundation-list

 * Consolidation: Anne feels that we need to agree an agenda of
priorities
 - Avoid dispersion on non-priority initiatives
 - Concentrate on top priorities and get them through to completion

 * We need to reimburse Murray for expenditure on the EU event box
  - Reimburse him fully on production of receipts
  - ACTION: JRB to contact Murray to get receipts and bank information
off him

 * DECISION: Event box policy
  - Event boxes will go to GNOME user groups or GNOME events
  - Event box must be the responsibility of one person of standing in
the community
  - That person will be responsible for replacement of any broken or
damaged equipment while the box is under his control
  - The board has set aside a budget for event box shipping, which can
be drawn down on with receipts by user groups who pay for shipping

 * Invitation letter policy
  - We should at least try to avoid issuing invitation letters to
fraudulent requests
  - ACTION: Zana to mail the mailing list a propoed policy

 * Anne wants to know where the best place to send an ODF alliance
newsletter is - she feels that foundation-list is inappropriate, but
wonders if there is a standardisation list.

Decisions:
----------

 * DECISION: Budget for event box shipping: $1000 for US box, €1000 for
EU box approved
 * DECISION: Event box policy
  - Event boxes will go to GNOME user groups or GNOME events
  - Event box must be the responsibility of one person of standing in
the community
  - That person will be responsible for replacement of any broken or
damaged equipment while the box is under his control
  - The board has set aside a budget for event box shipping, which can
be drawn down on with receipts by user groups who pay for shipping

New actions:
------------

 * ACTION: Anne to mail the members of gnome-legal to organise required
actions for contacting Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Roseti
  - Scope of relationship with SFLC
  - We need to contact WSGR and make sure we have a channel of
communication open
  - Setting up a meeting with WSGR is urgent now

 * ACTION: Anne to mail sysadmin gnome org requesting the creation of
the gnome-legal mailing list with the four initial invitees.
 * ACTION: Dave to contact marketing-private to get a press release
drafted for all of the new advisory board members. It's old news now,
but perhaps we can stir something up by announcing 6 new members in one
go
 * ACTION: Anne to mail board-list requesting a vote on the code of
conduct
 * ACTION: Anne to write a few lines on the mandate of the legal team
 * ACTION: Anne to mail the membership committee asking them to announce
the arrival of two new members to foundation-list
 * ACTION: JRB to contact Murray to get receipts and bank information
off him
 * ACTION: Zana to mail the mailing list a propoed policy

Outstanding actions:
sent, mailing list to be created)
    * Quim to finish the financials from GUADEC. ALMOST DONE
    * Anne to contact our pro-bono law firm instead of SFLC about the
trademark licensing agreement. IN PROGRESS
    * Dave to push the idea of a book for ISVs further with the docs
team. NOT DONE

Completed actions since last meeting:
 * I don't have the list. There were several.