Re: Code of conduct (bis)

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 20:04 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 19:43 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> > Today at 18:44, Murray Cumming wrote:
> >
> > > But yes, I'll try the endorsement strategy if I have to.
> >
> > I prefer Adrian Custer's suggestion.
> >
> > Tell me where to sign! :)
>
> Let's see how this works out:
> http://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct/Signatures

I signed the code of conduct under the strict condition that there is no
official enforcement of these principles, and that it should not be
interpreted like a legal document.

If that changes, then please automatically unsign me first. I even
wouldn't care if every single other GNOME contributor would have signed
it. Even if that happens, I still wouldn't agree with an official
enforcement of the principles.

My reason for that is very simple: GNOME is a multicultural world event
happening. It welcomes peoples from every imaginable culture. It's not
my task to question the (maybe strange for me) principles of a foreign
culture. It's not my task to exclude people from our community based on
cultural differences.

If signing a document would make it official, I would act as if that was
exactly my task. It's not.

I do agree with the principles in the conduct. I fear that I agree only
because in the Western culture where I grew up (Europe), these
principles are indeed the usual ones.

Automatically unsign me once it becomes an official enforcement. I
repeat again: my signature is not a tool to make these principles
official. Not at all.

--
Philip Van Hoof, software developer
home: me at pvanhoof dot be