Re: Substituting "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" or "GNU"

Alan Cox wrote:

> For the benefit of that meeting I'd like to note to the board that
> Linux is the name of the operating system kernel and is a
> trademark. If you wish to use the term GNU/Linux then you should
> seek the permission of the Linux trademark holder.

I think this is the second time when you mention this on
foundation-list.  I doubt that the Debian Project and Ututo have asked
for permition to use "GNU/Linux", and I also doubt that the gazillion
of GNU/Linux distributions that call themselves "Linux distributions"
have asked for permition to name themselves "Foo Linux".

However, I'm not really familiar with Trademark Law, but if this is a
really a problem, I suggest to call the system "GNU".  I'm using all
GNU variants so I call the system "GNU" in 99.999999% of the cases,
when I refer to something that is common, and not Linux-specific.

--
In the GNU Project, discrimination against proprietary software is not
just a policy -- it's the principle and the purpose.  Proprietary