Re: Mentoring for GNOME in Google Summer of Code

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 16:27 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 19/04/2006, at 3:06 AM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> > As you probably know by now, GNOME will be participating in the
> > Google Summer of Code again this year.  For details about the
> > program visit:<snip>
>
> Behdad, is there any provision for students from the Southern
> Hemisphere? This opportunity doesn't arrive in their holidays, but in
> the busiest part of the educational year.
>
> My son is doing a computing degree, and I know he's interested, but
> he just doesn't have the time in the middle of the year.
>
> I wrote to Google about this last year, but got no response.
>
> I'm wondering if an organization like Gnome could represent the
> interests of Southern Hemisphere participants in this.
>
> Do you think that would be a useful way to approach the situation?

I second Clytie's concern on this matter. In Chile we are in the worst
moment to take part on such a program because we aren't in vacations,
but at the end of the so-called "first year's semester".

Claudio

--
Claudio Saavedra <csaavedr wh8 tu-dresden de>