Re: Mentoring for GNOME in Google Summer of Code

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> On 19/04/2006, at 3:06 AM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> > As you probably know by now, GNOME will be participating in the
> > Google Summer of Code again this year.  For details about the
> > program visit:<snip>
>
> Behdad, is there any provision for students from the Southern
> Hemisphere? This opportunity doesn't arrive in their holidays, but in
> the busiest part of the educational year.

I know Google had this in mind when they started the program last
year, that's why their mailing list for the accepted students was
called Summer-Discuss-NH-2005 or something like that, but
apparently they were busy handling the Summer 2005 students until
a couple months ago, so they didn't do it this past year.  If
they manage to finish the program in time this time, I think they
may run one in the winter too, but of course I don't talk for
Google.

> My son is doing a computing degree, and I know he's interested, but
> he just doesn't have the time in the middle of the year.

Last year there were quite a few Aussies attending.  Well,
there's always time to add a programming project, should the pay
be good enough ;).

> I wrote to Google about this last year, but got no response.
>
> I'm wondering if an organization like Gnome could represent the
> interests of Southern Hemisphere participants in this.

I cannot think of a way that GNOME can help here.

> Do you think that would be a useful way to approach the situation?

I think contacting them again may be the best option.  Or better,
if you see any interested student, ask them to contact Google and
let them know they prefer a program run in their summer.

behdad