Re: Reducing the board size

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 19:00 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:

> I have not had time to review the records, but I'm pretty sure that at
> least two board members have taken zero action items all year, and a
> couple have taken very few, and that this has been fairly consistent
> every year I've been on the board (though it has been different people
> each year, that's just how it is.) So at least in an average year you
> could cut the board down to seven people with very, very little impact
> on the amount of work done.

If you have 4 people who have little or not time and you only have
seven people, you're down to three people active.  This would be a
good reason to *increase* the size of the board, and/or to have
a requirement about minimum participation.  After all, they
were all voted in, and I assume we'd need another vote for the
newly downsized board, so likely you'd keep those people.

Is the underlying problem going on here that there are one or
two board members that are hard to work with or who obstruct meetings?
A process to remove individuals from the board might be more effective
in that case, although it would leave a bitter taste.

Liam