Reducing the board size

Hi all,

There has been some discussion on reducing the board size on the board, and the one point which is clear is that this discussion should be in public.

I'm in favour of reducing the board to 7 people. I would like to see us have a referendum on the issue next month.

The board has huge problems being pro-active. Any issue which is slightly contentious has an opposition in a board of 11 people. It's inevitable. And when there is opposition, there are many voices, and when there are many voices, there is no resolution.

With 7 people, this problem will be reduced (not removed, I'm not that naive).

In addition, a fringe benefit is that people who will want to get elected will have to run. With 11 seats, no-one runs for election. There is essentially only competition for the last 3 seats. I would like to see board elections have an election campaign, with people saying what they want to do, why, and saying why they think other people's approach will not be effective.

There are potential down-sides. If you look at the most effective board members over the years, they have typically not been among the 7 most popular. I myself would not have been elected this year. But there is no denying that the board structure as it is is fundamentally flawed. I think this is one step towards improving it.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary