Re: Changing the name of GUADEC

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 22:13 +0200, David Neary wrote:
> I would like to propose changing the name of GUADEC. There are many
> reasons to do this, here are 5:
>
> 1. There is no link to GNOME in the name, or to being a conference

GUADEC = GNOME Users and Developers European Conference

It seems to me that there is both GNOME and Conference mentioned.

> 2. No-one knows what it means, which means the first question people ask
> isn't "when is it?" or "where is it?" or "who's going?" it's "what does
> it mean?"

That's pretty much true with respect to every acronym.

> 3. It sucks.

THere a terms that suck even more, e.g. GConf

> 4. Do we really want to limit it to Europe?

That's probably the only thing worth discussing.

> 5. We have a great new name.

Not GConf for sure.

> Davyd Madeley came up with GConf. This can be subtitles "The GNOME Users
> and Developers Conference" for the nostalgic, or just "the GNOME
> Conference". It's obvious that it's a conference, and GNOME's right
> there. The link is pretty obvious.

Let's see:

1) Gnome and Conference is as well hidden as in GUADEC.

2) All developers will think they know what it means but nobody will
thik of a conference but configurations come to mind.

3) It sucks to use an acronym that already has a different meaning.

4) We had a much better name "GUADEC".

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow