Re: Petition for referendum

The way this is currently worded makes it sound as though signing indicates a desire to reduce the Board size. I don't think that was what you intended, but it's kept me from signing.

Bill

David Neary wrote:

Hi,

I said:

If you would like this issue to be debated, and decided, by the
foundation membership, please add your name to the page.

http://live.gnome.org/BoardSizePetition

It's been over a week since I started this petition. We're up to 25 foundation members and 2 non-members who have signed their support.

Understandably, momentum has dropped off, and perhaps I've misjudged this, and people don't really care about the issue or the board.

I hope that some people who agree that the issue should be debated have not signed up yet, because they thought perhaps they wouldn't need to.

In any case, with the board election coming up in 6 weeks or so, it won't be possible to have that election and the referendum at the same time, if we don't get the ball rolling now.

So, if I have not reached the 37 signatures necessary to call a referendum by next Wednesday, I'll consider the request dropped.

On the other hand, if you do feel that a referendum can lead to a good debate on what we can do to improve how the board works (and I believe slimming down is a necessary part of that), then please sign your support at:

http://live.gnome.org/BoardSizePetition

Or indicate your support here.

Thanks,
Dave.